6.26.2013

Date Ice Cream


Summer has officially started and I'm welcoming it with a date ice cream. If you haven't had dates other than stuffed with something, let me tell you, they make an excellent ice cream. I've always been a huge fan of dates and I love to experiment with them a lot. 
With heat embracing us in New York lately, all I want is to cool off with ice creams and sorbets. My ice cream maker never worked so hard. With that being said, do expect more refreshing recipes like this one :)


Additionally, here is a really fun recipe to make with kids over the weekend. Enjoy! 





Ingredients

For the date ice cream:


3 cups warm milk
3 eggs yolks, lightly beaten 
7oz whole dates, pitted
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup water

In a pot, combine the sugar and the water, bring it to a boil. Boil until the sugar has dissolve. Add the dates and boil for a couple of minutes, turn off the heat and let the mixture cool off for 5 minutes. With the help of a hand blender or in the food processor, puree the dates then return it to the pot.  Add the milk to the and bring the whole thing to a boil. Boil for three minutes then temper the egg yolks into the mixture and continue to cook for two minutes more, stirring constantly with a whisk. Cool it off (over an ice bath) then refrigerate at least for 4 hours or even better, overnight. Pour the mixture to an ice cream maker and follow manufacture's instructions. 

18 comments:

  1. mm, that ice-cream looks delicious! Dates always remind me of sticky toffee pudding in cold winter months so I'll have to see how they fit into a summery treat (: those mice are also adorable!
    from Emily x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Date ice cream sounds perfect and those meringue mice are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, looks delish!
    How many dates did you add to your batch of ice-cream, and did you just chop them or process them first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whole dates, then I puree them, I used 7oz of dates, I don't really know how many they were in 7oz.
      Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. An exceptional ice cream! The sweetness of dates screams summer! And those meringue mice are the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds amazing. And that's the best and most tasty way to cool off in the summer, so true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So yummy ! Looks delicious ... Amazing photos as usual !

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mouse made me laugh out loud, very cute. The ice cream looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mice is soooo so perfect. I enjoy dates in every form, this sounds very good and yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This recipe looks really good. I can't wait it give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! These mice are really cute! The ice cream looks so tasty. Can't wait to try!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grogeous ice-cream, total yummy. I love dates. Nice to discover your blog¡¡¡ Kisses from Spain

    Virginia "sweet and sour"

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of my kids love to dwell on ice cream shops, they really love to munch lots of ice cream

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and for taking the time to write a comment, they make my day!