5.29.2013

Rhubarb Sorbet


With Summer time just around the corner, I already started to prepare myself with recipes that will help me fight the heat. I'm not ready to let go of Spring though, I truly love it. With rhubarb in season, it only seems natural to start playing around with it and I went for a sorbet.


I initially was going to do the classic strawberry-rhubarb combination on this recipe but I decided I wasn't going to hide the rhubarb behind a fruit. I wanted these stalks of tart goodness to shine on their own like I knew they could, as a result; a really marvelous, refreshing sorbet. 


I'm very excited about this rhubarb recipe. This healthier treat was sweetened with agave nectar and the flavor of rhubarb was enhanced with vanilla bean, making each bite satisfying. Rose water works great instead of vanilla, if you happen have some on hand, you can replace vanilla with one tablespoon of rose water. Or you can simply leave both things out of the picture for a more pure rhubarb flavor. With sorbets like this one, I don't mind a brain freeze :) 



Ingredients:

1 ½ lb. (about 6 cups) rhubarb, cut into small pieces
1 cup agave nectar 
2 tsp lemon juice + zest of a lemon
the seeds of ½ vanilla bean pod (optional)
1 tbsp vodka (optional but helps with texture)

1 cups water

In a saucepan, place all the ingredients (except the vodka) and bring it to a boil. Let it boil until the rhubarb breaks down, about 15 minutes. Using a hand blender (regular blender works just fine just do it in small badges) puree the mixture until smooth. Mix in the vodka, taste and adjust sweetness if necessary. Cover it and let it come to room temperature, then place in the refrigerator to chill for few hours or over night. Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.

19 comments:

  1. What a splendid sorbet! The pale pink just screams spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So lovely. So glad the rhubarb was the star!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad too, it really shined. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos, and great idea. We're heading to our local farmers' market tomorrow, so I'll keep an eye out for rhubarb to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would love to know if you make it!!

      Delete
  4. Rhubarb is one of my favorites! I love the tartness contrasted with the sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colour! Is there anything I could substitute for agave nectar? I don't know where I might be able to get some in my la'al rural town (:
    from Emily x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use regular sugar (same amount) or even honey! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Your pictures always make me want to try-out your recipes. Rhubarb Sorbet, yummy!! I can't wait to take my first bite, thank you so much. By the way, I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love everything about your recipe. Rhubarb and rosewater are delicious together and I'm a sucker for sorbet. Plus it's nice and easy. Yipee!
    Hope you and your family are well,
    xoxo
    E

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy, Rhubarb brings back such great memories being at my Grandmothers place. She baked the best rhubarb strawberry pie :). Thank You so much for this recipe, I love the idea of adding vanilla and might just add some honey :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your pictures and recipes, they are mouth watering. Would love for you to share them with us at foodieportal.com. Over at foodieportal.com we are not photography expert snobs, we are just foodies, so pretty much all your pictures will get accepted.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to eat this right now! I'm accustomed to rhubarb jam or chutney, but what a great thing to do with it. I want to plop this on a fruit salad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great recipe! Rhubarb would fit in to my 52 week challenge where I encourage my kids to eat a bigger range of healthy foods. So far we've done starfruit, jicama, sea beans and more. I'd love for you to follow The Challenge here! http://feedmedearly.com/the-challenge/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Making this tonight, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your food photos are amazing. You can share your mouth watering photos with us at foodienewz.com and your photos published on FoodieNewz without any editorial review.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and for taking the time to write a comment, they make my day!