4.18.2013

Pancakes with Strawberry Sauce and Homemade Crème Fraîche


As a mentioned in my last post, my son's birthday was last week. The older he gets, the more demanding he is. It's that a normal thing? I guess it is. When I asked him what kind of breakfast he would want on his special day, he had a very specific answer, pancakes with strawberries. 


Not too long ago, I had made these pancakes for him and I knew he liked them but I didn't imagine he would even remember them. He surprises me every time. I have to say I don't blame him for remembering these fluffy, super light and spongy pancakes. 


I also made strawberry sauce. Very easy to put together and a sweet replacement for the classic maple syrup. If that wasn't enough strawberries, we also made crème fraîche (yes! homemade) and I mixed in some of the strawberry sauce. Out of this world fantastic.


Lets talk a little bit about homemade crème fraîche. It came out so creamy and rich, it doesn't even compare to many of those store-bought brands. The good news is, it's so easy to make, it's hardly a recipe. The bad news is, because it's so easy to make, you will want to make it all the time and make lots of things with it. As we know, crème fraîche is not exactly a diet item. Oh well, guilty pressures, we've got to have them, no? 




Ingredients:

For the pancakes:

2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons baking powder
3 tablespoon melted butter
3 tablespoon vanilla sugar 
2 eggs, lightly beaten 
the zest of 1 lemon
A pinch of salt

In a bowl, mix together the milk, melted butter, eggs and lemon zest. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Pour the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until smooth. Heat a lightly greased griddle over medium high heat. Scoop the batter onto the griddle, using 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Brown on both sides. Serve warm.

For the strawberry sauce:

2 cups strawberries, hulled  and quartered
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp water

in a saucepan, mix together the strawberries, sugar and water. bring it to a boil. Let it cook until the strawberries are softened, about 15 minutes. Add the vanilla extract, mix well and puree the strawberries, let it cool.

For the crème fraîche
Recipe courtesy of Celia

2 cups of heavy cream 
2 tbsp plain yogurt 

In a jar, stir together the yogurt with the heavy cream. Loosely, cover the jar and let it sit at room temperature for 18 to 24 hours or until thick. How easy was that? 

Mix half of the strawberry sauce with half of the crème fraîche and a pinch of salt for serving. 






24 comments:

  1. An irresistible ode to spring! The vibrant strawberries are so seductive atop the pancakes, a lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My birthday is on June 2nd and I would like the same for my breakfast, please...

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoever named it "crème fraîche" made it sound oh-so-fancy lol i didn't know it was really this simple to make. i like, i like.
    your son must have lovveedd this special breakfast! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fresh and yummy! Now I know what I will cook for breakfast tomorrow :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uau this is amazing :)love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pancakes look so delicious! I love the look of your strawberry sauce too and the fact that you made your own creme fraiche - I really want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow this looks so yummy, and the photos are great.
    ill make this for my hubby for breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  8. Najwa,
    Happy birthday to your little guy! And yes it's normal for them to become more demanding as they get older - just wait until you have a teenager;)
    xoxo
    E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin!! Teen :O oh my, thats going to be interesting. xx

      Delete
  9. I love making creme fraiche at home! That strawberry sauce sounds great with the pancakes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and for taking the time to write a comment, they make my day!