2.07.2013

Homemade Nutella


It's so dangerous to make your own nutella. I'm not talking about the process, which is very simple. I'm talking about the fact that you are at home with a full jar of delicious nutella. I feel like the jar is screaming "Eat me!". What do I do? Make a bunch of crepes, bake a brioche, bake cookies? It's like I'm on a mission to finish off the whole jar ASAP. Thankfully, my son is willing to help me with that :)


This nutella recipe is creamy, with a subtle taste of chocolate and a hint of coconut. It's important to have a good food processor for a smooth texture. My food processor is old and I had to use my mom's to achieve the consistency I was after. 


You are probably thinking "Why not just buy a jar?" The taste you get from a homemade nutella, you will hardly find it in the store. Besides, it's really simple to make. Need to say more?

Ingredients 

2 cups hazelnuts, toasted and skinned 
1cup dark chocolate, melted 
2 tbsp cocoa powder
4 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp canola
1/3 cup coconut milk

In a food processor,  process the hazelnuts until they turn into a paste, depending on the food processor or blender, it should take you about 15 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and keep mixing until smooth. Taste and add more sugar if needed. Also, add a little more milk if it feels too dry.







20 comments:

  1. This is wonderful...I can't wait to try making my own! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. che meraviglia e che golosità...viene voglia di rubarne una cucchiaiata dal monitor del pc!
    Complimenti!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I've never made homemade Nutella, but love it a lot. Thanks so much! Delicious pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds a great idea! but i'm afraid of me, i don't have any child to save some for, so i'm sure i'm gonna eat it the whole jar alone! ohmm,i think i have to orginize a crepe-party or something :)
    thanks for sharing my dear! always fan of your photography..
    xxxFiC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you Katerina, it's dangerous!! The crepe party sounds like a fun idea!
      Thank you!! xx

      Delete
  5. Wow! That looks amazing! I love Nutella so much; it's probably unhealthy (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, same here. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Mmmhhh, delicious and a lot healthier as well as tastier than the bought version!

    Lovely shots.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  7. great idea! the coconut milk surprised me. (in a good way!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently made Nutella and it was delicious. I like the idea of adding the coconut milk. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any clue as to which nut would make a good hazelnut substitute? I can't eat more than two or three at a time. :( Nutella is a big no-no for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, I never made nutella without hazelnuts but I don't see why other nuts wouldn't work. I can only encourage you to try it out with different nuts. Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  11. trader joes has chocolate almond butter, tastes similar to nutella, i'm sure you could use almonds!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this in my Vitamix and unfortunately, as I turned it up to maximum speed the mixture was slightly smoking and became all crumbly because the chocolate did get burnt. So don´t turn your Vitamix to maximum speed when you make this recipe. You can not get a texture that is as smooth as Nutella, but the taste makes up for that. Also, if you prepare this for children, you might want to use milk chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you toast the hazelnuts yourself? If so, how long did you put them in the oven and what temp? Also, I have never heard of icing sugar, is that the same as powdered sugar since you use powdered sugar to make icing? I'm trying to stay away from refined sugars and wondering what natural way I could substitute... otherwise I'm super excited to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cora, I did toast the hazelnuts at 375 F for 15 minutes. Icing sugar is the same as powdered sugar and you can leave it out and use a sweetener of your choice. Thank you!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting and for taking the time to write a comment, they make my day!