1.24.2013

Mung Bean and Kale Soup


It has been brutally cold these past few days in New York. Perfect weather to stay home wrapped up in my blanket, wearing my comfy socks and favorite pj's. In a perfect world that is. Unfortunately, I need to go out and run some errands but that doesn't stop me from making soup.



Aren't these the best days for soup? Today I made mung bean soup with kale. Mung beans aren't something I cook a lot with. In fact, I tried them for the first time a couple of months ago. I loved them and so did my son. 



The combination of kale and some spices was a perfect match for this soup. The result? A very hearty, filling, comforting and healthy soup. This is definitely a keeper. I'm really excited to keep experimenting with these beans and try different flavor combinations.




Ingredients:


3 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup onions, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 cup mung beans
7 cups of water 
2 cups kale, chopped 
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp ground cumin 
1 tbsp coriander, toasted and grind
salt and pepper

In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the onions. Cook for 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the mung beans, spices, salt and pepper, stir well to combine. Add water, cover and cook until the beans are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Check the beans after 20 minutes to make sure they have enough water. When the beans are ready, taste and adjust salt and liquid if needed. Add the kale and cook for 5 minutes more. Serve with bread.  


13 comments:

  1. Najwa, your photos are simply the best ever. I love coming here just to gawk at your gorgeously composed, vibrant photos. And this soup sound seriously delicious! I just made a sweet potato and lentil stew last night and used turmeric, cumin and curry powder (together) for the first time--and WOW! What an amazing flavor combination! I've been missing out on a lot of great spices all this time--this soup looks like a great next project!

    Also, can I ask where you got the instagram button on the right hand bar and the "stalk me on" social media button above that? Did you design both of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erika, Thank you so much for your sweet words! Your soup sounds delicious, curry is a nice addition to this type of soups. All of my icons and banner, were designed by my husband, I'm lucky to have a cartoonist in-house :)

      Delete
    2. That's fantastic! I love the style :)

      Delete
  2. I made this over the weekend and we loved it. Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria, thank you so much for letting me know, I'm glad you liked it!

      Delete
  3. Oh Najwa, you brought back some memories! My mum used to make this when I was little with spinach instead of kale. All the same spices and colour. She just called it 'daal' and we had it with steamed rice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That soup is really original and mouthwatering! Lovely clicks too.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! I've been wanting to cook with mung beans as they are SUPER good for you. Kale and mung beans sound great together. And you soup looks delish - no surprise there.
    Gorgeous photos as always. As you say... food is beautiful.
    xo
    E

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's definitely the time of year for hearty soups and I've been throwing kale and greens into mine as well lately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend made this and it was amazing. Trying it myself and I'm a beginner. Can you provide temperatures for the cooking part please? Medium/high.....??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mung beans are my new obsession. I added chucks of carrot for color and it came out nice. Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mung beans are my new obsession. I added carrot chunks for color and it came out nice. Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and for taking the time to write a comment, they make my day!