8.19.2012

The App That Didn't Happen


Some time ago, someone approached me asking if I would be interested in having an app developed of my blog (for free, I did not put any money on this). The app was going to be available for download to Iphones and Ipads. I got so excited and almost immediately said yes. 
I, of course,  went to their website, checked their profile and did my little research. The company is based in Dublin, Ireland with an office in New York, everything looked legit. They said they wanted the app to focus on baked goods rather than savory dishes, we were going to use some of my existent recipes but I had to come up with 10 cupcake recipes to make the app more "special". I had a period 
of two months to create and photograph the recipes. When I was finally done, I sent all my artwork to them and they gave me a release date which I was expecting anxiously. That day never came. I didn't get an email or anything with an explanation. A few days later I sent them an email asking what the status of the app was. 


A week later they sent me an apology email saying that the release date changed because "they had a lot of work" and they hadn't even started on the app yet.  "it should be ready in a month"  they said. A month went by and, guess what? No news from them. At that point I knew that it wasn't going to happen anymore but I was still curious to know what kind of "excuse" they would give me this time. So I sent them an email and they replied 3 weeks later saying "Sorry, we have a lot of work right now and we are not able to go through this project at the moment. Since we have no contract, feel free to look for another developer" 


I was sad, I admit it. Not only because I worked and put a lot of thought into this app but also because of my inexperience. The way I handled it, I probably should have asked for a contract, I don't know, what would you have done in my place? I guess you live and learn and this was for sure a lesson. 

For the longest time I didn't know what to do with all the recipes and I didn't want to just post them on the blog like nothing ever happened. I created the recipes for something special therefore I wanted to do something special with them. But I had another issue, I was embarrassed to tell the story. But one day I said "wait a minute, I did nothing wrong, inexperience is not a sin, it's a part of life. THEY should be the ones embarrassed, not me"  And that's how "Delicious Cupcakes" was created. I have been working on this post for a couple of weeks. Not only designing everything but also writing the story, hoping that people can take note and perhaps be more cautious if they come across with something like this. 

I hope you enjoy it!

25 comments:

  1. That kind of thing might happen to everyone who is a nice and trusting person, so you shouldn't be embarrassed or feel bad about yourself. There are so many people out there, who are eager to cheat every single minute, and sometimes the consiquences can be a lot worse. Once, I almost did not lose a generous amount of money because of a fraud, and thanks to the clear-minded people who stopped me from doing that. Now, when I think about it, I just cannot believe how stupid I was, but back then everything looked different. However, as you say, we live and learn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, it could have been a lot worse. Thank goodness for people around us, they advice you for the best.

      Delete
  2. That's awful, shame on them I say. There are too many people who are dishonest out there but don't be sad or ashamed, it could happen to anyone.
    I loved your "Delicious Cupcakes". They look stunning and the work you did is amazing! Congratulations!
    I particularly loved the photos of your maple cupcakes, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words, I'm so glad you liked it! That is the best reward!

      Delete
  3. I have been reading your blog for a few months now and am finally commenting! I love the cupcake "magazine" you put out there. The recipes look great and I look forward to trying some of them out! Thanks so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to write this comment! I'm really happy you liked the cupcakes!

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you shared your story and wish more bloggers would do so. People don't realise how much work is involved in doing the recipe, taking pictures and posting about it. That would be cool if in the future that apps comes to life. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite zine so far. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope their scheme wasn't to promise you an app in order to get your artwork and recipes for free. Indeed a contract would have protected your work better.
    Maybe you'd actually do a favor to the blogging community by sharing the name of this company so that other bloggers know what to do if they get solicited for artwork and recipes by the same company...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I did make sure was to made clear that I have all the copyrights and nothing can be used without my authorization. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. What a terrible story and so disappointing. Thank you for sharing the story and all of your gorgeous photos and recipes! I bet your zine is way more beautiful than any app a flaky company like that would design. Very hungry now;)
    xo
    E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Erin!!! That means a lot to me. xx

      Delete
  8. Yes, I hope that they didn't want to steal your work... Sorry to hear that. This is the reason why I never trust people who send me such e-mails.

    Gorgeous cupcakes and wondeful 'zine!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet of you to share your story to help others be more cautious. And wonderful how you turned a negative into a sweet positive: Delicious Cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you for taking a set back and turning it around into something wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Najwa,

    I missed this post due to the holidays but I saw it now. What a pity the project didn't go throught but... (and what counts most!) the result is really wonderful! What a beautiful-cupcake-magazine, really impressing!
    You should be proud of yourself, because you managed to realize such a beautiful project (even though the app-part didn't go through, but there is nothing you could do about that...)
    If I would see such a cupcake-magazine in the bookshop I would buy it straight away, it looks just perfect!

    Keep up the good work Najwa and don't get discouraged by project teams who are not organized enough to get their work done :-). They can learn something from you!

    xx from Belgium,
    Marian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words, I really appreciate it and it means a lot to me.
      xx for you too!
      Najwa

      Delete
  12. The magazine is amazing! Thank you!! I love your website!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting and for taking the time to write a comment, they make my day!